[Healeys] Athena head gaskets

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Wed Jan 27 07:44:38 MST 2016

" Can anybody explain to me why we need Athena Ultra head gaskets at $ 430 to $550 a piece ?????? "

We don't. The garden variety gaskets from Payen--alone or in a conversion set--do just fine in a stock 6-cyl car. A $500 head gasket sounds like a 'vanity piece' to me; spend (less) money on machining to get the surfaces flat. With 4-cyl cars it's a different story, as coolant leaks between #2&3 cyls is common and an 'exotic' head gasket MAY help with that.

As for the other bits, I haven't heard of any problems with 'stock' stuff from the usual suspects. Buy from Moss on sale, or you might be able to get a break from a Moss distributor--like BCS or LBCCarCo.--or buy from VB or any other supplier (AHSpares or A4H in the UK, Holden in Europe, etc.). I've put 100K miles on my BJ8 with these parts--got them from Sports & Classics many years ago--and I wouldn't be surprised if you'd get the exact same parts and brands from any AH parts seller.

Bob