[Healeys] Steering wheel restoration

John Spaur jmsdarch at sbcglobal.net
Mon Feb 15 15:03:23 MST 2016

I would not recommend restoring the original plastic steering wheels when
excellent reproductions are available.

The reason the plastic has cracked is because water has penetrated the wheel
and it has started to oxidize the metal reinforcement which has expanded and
cracked the wheel. That process may of slowed down, but it will never stop.

I stored an original wheel in my garage for several years intending to
restore it. It appeared to be in the same reasonable shape when I went to
inspect it in preparation for restoration. When I pull at parts of it that
looked to be in good shape, it  just crumbled in my hands.

John Spaur
'62 BT7