[Healeys] Steering wheel restoration

Michael michael.salter at gmail.com
Mon Feb 15 14:10:41 MST 2016

Hi Tom,
Repairing a wheel is a long process but excellent results can be achieved with patience.
You need another wheel to provide donor material.
Break off pieces of the donor wheel plastic, it is not Bakelite, and dissolve them in acetone to produce a paste about the consistently of mixed epoxy.
After removing all the loose pieces on the wheel you are restoring prime the area of be repaired with acetone and then apply the paste while the primed areas are still wet. It will require several coats.
Fine sanding and polishing will produce a great result.
I actually finally paint the entire rim with 2 part epoxy paint when the repairs are finished.
Expect to spend many many hours to repair a badly cracked wheel.... That is why there are so many woodrim wheels around 😊
Michael S
BN1 #174