[Healeys] washing my car

Simon Lachlan simon.lachlan at homecall.co.uk
Thu Feb 4 05:57:36 MST 2016

Personally – and I think this is a very subjective topic – I buy what one might call “any old stuff” for car wash/soap/shampoo as long as it’s cheap. I can then use lots of it in lukewarm water and rinse it off immediately and very thoroughly.

I think the question might better have been directed to what happens after rinsing ......I use a big “microfibre(?)” cloth and dry it carefully and very thoroughly. Sometimes, and I bet you’re hanging onto the edge of your seats by now, I give it a final rub down with a soft flannel/yellow duster. (I find that all this allows a quiet, almost sub-conscious inspection of the car which may be beneficial from time to time).

Polish.....once a year on average. I use Autoglym which I like and which, I find, the family gives me faster than I can use it! Not sure if it’s sold out of UK.

I suppose the trick is to get a decent surface onto your paint that allows one to get the dirt off without resorting to too much rubbing and scrubbing??

I don’t do any of this very often......a peck of dirt never hurt as they say. I attend one car show a year, primarily for the beer, and I do give it a good session before that; I suppose the public pay to get in and one should present them with the best that one can?

Enough banalities...

Simon