[Healeys] coilt induction ingition

Austin Healeys List austinhealeyslist at gmail.com
Wed Dec 28 18:02:06 MST 2016

A capacitor is effectively a dead-short the very instant power is
applied to it. When the points open, flyback voltage from the coil
appears across the capacitor but since it is effectively a dead short
for a few nano seconds, the voltage across the points gap is very
close to zero and no arcing can occur because all the current is
rushing into the capacitor instead of trying to form an arc. A few
more microseconds later the points are far enough apart to prevent any
arc jumping the gap and all is well.

When the points close again, the fully charged capacitor gets
dead-shorted and if it were significantly bigger, this would cause a
big enough spark to erode the points in the opposite direction. You
can look at a well used set of points and determine whether the
capacitor is the correct size by whether metal has migrated from one
contact to the other, or vise versa. Unfortunately I can't remember
which direction corresponds to too big or small. The size of the
capacitor is a compromise between creating the smallest possible arc
when the points open vs when they close. At least that's what I was
taught at tech school.

Andy.