[Healeys] Mount a coil on an alternator.

Al Fuller al at bighealey.org
Wed Dec 28 12:39:32 MST 2016

Josef:

Petty broad brush you are painting some of us with there… [Quote: “People who swap a generator for an alternator like to modify in any way.”]  Without further comment to your over-statement, I WILL say the following:

I drive my car on multi-day cross-country trips and see the value in installing a modern alternator.  The generators on our cars were installed 50 years ago, and designed way before that to provide a fairly modest output [~20 amps, if memory serves].  The generator was barely able to supply the car’s needs as supplied, and modern use calls for additional and more power-hungry apliances in the car, such as headlights that actually light up the road ahead…

I now have an alternator that will power the car, headlghts, the CB radio I consider a necessity when driving in a multi car caravan, etc.  An added bonus is if it happens to fail, rebuild or repar are readily available.  Note that none of this drives me necessiarily to any other modifications.

Al Fuller

al at bighealey dot org

'65 BJ-8

'85 Rx-7