[Healeys] Mount a coil on an alternator.

BJ8Healeys sbyers at ec.rr.com
Sat Dec 24 05:31:59 MST 2016

Josef, your statement is not quite correct.  There are other reasons besides electric (or modification for modification's sake) for mounting an alternator.  In my case, the only time in 33 years my BJ8 ever stranded me with a problem was when the generator bearings failed and damaged the internal wiring while I was 350 miles from home in Washington, DC.  Even in that large city, it took me three days to find a shop that could repair the generator (Healey Surgeons were no help, either).  When preparing my car for the trip across the USA to Lake Tahoe for Open Roads 2002, I decided that I didn't want to deal with a generator failure in the middle of Kansas, so I installed an alternator that could be found in any auto parts store.

A few years ago, a traveling companion in another BJ8 with an alternator had a failure of his unit.  We went two miles and got a new one in the next auto parts store we came to.

Steve Byers

HBJ8L/36666

BJ8 Registry

AHCA Delegate at Large