[Healeys] Cam wear question

Michael Salter michaelsalter at gmail.com
Tue Dec 27 10:36:11 MST 2016

Hi Bob,
You don't mention what oil you used in your engine.
As you know there has been massive discussion on the issue of ZDDP and its
effect on cam wear and you may have read my blog post on the problems that
we encountered. http://www.netbug.net/blogmichael/2006/12/01/cam-issues.
I have a very good friend and fellow Kiwi who races a very fast mini and he
experienced much the same problems until he resorted to a custom
modification to original lifters using silicon nitride for the wear surface.
These lifters have survived some serious engine failures, overheats, over
revs, lack of oil and other indignities and are still as good as new... and
none of the cams that have been used with them show any problems with lobe
failures...even the broken ones !!! He uses synthetic oils exclusively.
If I encounter problems with the lifters in #174 I will have no hesitation
in having a set of original lifters modified for my engine.
Michael S
BN1 #174

--
*If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.*