[Healeys] High torque question!

michael.salter at gmail.com michael.salter at gmail.com
Mon Dec 26 10:41:27 MST 2016

Been there Simon 😆

When you move the RW wire to the WOSP starter things don't work because the battery feed to the WOSP is interrupted at your original solenoid, as you have probably already figured out.

If you run a jumper from the RW on the original solenoid to the Lucar on the WOSP it will work but you are unnecessaryily operating 2 solenoids.

Best to run the cable from the battery directly to the WOSP, the RW to the Lucar on the WOSP and a 14 ga. jumper back up to the formerly  "live" battery connection on your original solenoid.

Alternatively take the original solenoid off altogether and run a 14 ga. Up to the "B" terminal on your RB340 regulator.

Remember that the wire to the regulator, whether via the original solenoid terminal or not, has to be of sufficient size to carry the car's maximum full load, lights, wipers, fan, etc,  combined for the situation when the engine is not running and everything is still "on".

The "B" connections on the regulator use a large size Lucar" connector which must be in good shape to handle that load...

Michael S

BN1 #174

On Mon, Dec 26, 2016 at 12:16 PM -0500, "Simon Lachlan" <simon.lachlan at homecall.co.uk> wrote:

Hi,

I am adding heresy to heresy this festive season. Santa, being a highly intuitive sort of a chap, left me a WOSP high torque starter under the tree for my “surprise” Christmas present! HoHoHo.

Anyhow, I am, as ever, trying to get all my ducks in a row  before starting work.

It seems to be a neat little thing and I was assured that, apart from changing connector types, the wiring is a straight swap.

Well, yes that’s right or maybe not quite......

The new motor has its solenoid within. The original’s solenoid is mounted on the firewall.

The ambiguity that I perceive in the destructions is with the part that says, “Fit the solenoid trigger wire to the 6.5mm male lucar post located in the black housing” (on the WOSP starter). I presume this trigger wire to be the “white with red” (WR) wire from the ignition switch. Now, do I remove the WR wire from the old solenoid and take it to the new starter or do I leave it on the old solenoid and run a new WR from the old solenoid to the new starter?

One of the things that I’m considering is swapping my existing solenoid for one with a push button start function; it seems to me that this would not work unless the WR wire was still connected to the terminal on the solenoid????

Attached alternative wiring diagrams which might help.

Simon