[Healeys] Cam wear question

Oudesluys coudesluijs at chello.nl
Mon Dec 26 04:51:59 MST 2016

A roller cam would suffer damage as well as the pressure on the cam
surface is usually higher (2 radii), however it is a different kind of
wear, with followers you have friction with rollers you have fatigue on
the cam's surface. OHC engine camshafts usually wear less as there is
considerable less mass to move (inertia). You only have the buckets,
shims, valves and springs. For OHV heads there are rockers and push rods
extra to it. This will lead to considerable larger forces on the cam
shaft especially at high revs.
Kees Oudesluijs