[Healeys] Pertronix wiring

Simon Lachlan simon.lachlan at homecall.co.uk
Tue Dec 20 06:49:01 MST 2016

I am trying to help install a (+) Pertronix in Paris while I sit in the UK.
I have a (-) Pertronix fitted to my spare distributor so that is helpful for
photos etc. BUT, apart from the colours of the wires involved, there are
other differences which I'm finding a bit tricky. If I had both distributors
here in my hand, I'd sort it in seconds.

See the attached pic of the (-) Pertronix sitting in my Lucas DM6A which
normally sits spare in the boot while the 123Ignition does all the real
work!

So, the little black wire at the bottom of the picture which must be a
replacement for that horrible little "boot lace" wire.....is that wire
present in the (+) unit? If that is "the distributor ground wire" referred
to in the instructions for both (+) AND (-) installations, then we're in
business....the wire remains or rather is replaced with something better. I
presume(!) that it is indeed that wire, but previous presumptions have cost
me dear.

I ask because the (+) unit has an earth to chassis wire from the coil which
the (-) does not have. Per the instructions:-  "14. Connect an insulated AWG
20 copper stranded wire from the positive coil terminal to the positive
battery or chassis." ie there might just be a different arrangement within
the distributor.

(Try asking for AWG 20 in France!!)

I had a (+) Pertronix once, but I've forgotten..........

Simon