[Healeys] Starters and Generators; was Re: Starting a BJ8

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Mon Dec 19 08:43:47 MST 2016

re: "If I am not mistaken there is a small hole in the back plate of the
dynamo (and starter?) to lubricate the bronze bush now and again."

You are not mistaken.  There also is supposed to be a felt pad between
the oiling hole and the bushing; mine didn't have this pad and from
dutifully oiling the bush--probably over-oiling it--the inside of my
generator became oil-soaked.  When I opened it up to do just the
maintenance Kees described I saw that the field coil insulation--just a
cloth wrap, basically--had seriously deteriorated; probably at least
partly from all the oil.  My only choice was to send it to a 'pro'
rebuilder; who replaces the armature and field coils as a matter of
course.  He says he installs an oillite-type bush that doesn't need
extra oiling.

I rebuilt my starter years ago and used silicone lubricant on the Bendix
mechanism.  I like this stuff because it doesn't seem to attract dirt
like petroleum oils do.  Moly/graphite sounds like a good idea too.

Bob