[Healeys] Starting a BJ8

Oudesluys coudesluijs at chello.nl
Mon Dec 19 02:45:53 MST 2016

You generally do not have to have it rebuilt to improve performance. It
is just a matter of maintainance. If taken care of properly they perform
well and last forever.
Just cleaning up often does the trick. It is an easy job. Clean the
inside using e.g. a spray can of brake cleaner but be careful with some
strong solvents in case they dissolve the shellac of the windings. Just
clean up the commutator with 400 grade sandpaper, or better skim the
commutator on a lathe, cut the insulator between the copper segments
with a narrow (ground flat sides) hack saw blade to about 1/2mm below
the surface if needed, inspect/clean/renew the brushes (when the
commutator has been skimmed), oil the bronze bushes, clean the bendix
thoroughly and lubricate with molybdenum/graphite powder rubbed in on
the shaft and it should be fine for the next 25 years minimum.

By the way, more or less the same goes for the dynamo, although there is
a chance that you may have to renew the bronze bearing bush at the back
and the ball bearing at the front. If I am not mistaken there is a small
hole in the back plate of the dynamo (and starter?) to lubricate the
bronze bush now and again.
Many years ago I used to modify dynamo's to take a ball bearing at the back.

No need for an often short lived modern geared starter.
Kees Oudesluijs