[Healeys] Starting a BJ8

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Sat Dec 17 08:43:11 MST 2016

Have him listen for the fuel pump pumping when he first turns the
ignition switch to the 'run' position.  No click means no fuel; no fuel
means no start (and a fast click means empty tank or air leak on the
intake side).  As someone mentioned, push the gas pedal to the floor
before attempting to pull the choke out.  Have the owner pay attention
to the choke behavior: the last third or so of the 'pull' should have
more resistance; that is when the throttles get opened slightly.  If
not, the throttles aren't being opened and he won't get a cold start.
Only engage the starter for 4-5 seconds at a time; let it 'rest' between
attempts for 15 seconds or so lest the field coils in the starter get
heat soaked and become less effective.   If it doesn't start in 3-4
attempts--and your nephew is at all mechanically inclined--have him pull
a plug wire and hold it close to the block while an assistant cranks the
engine (make sure he uses something to insulate his hand).  No spark
means no start (he may have one of the bad rotors).  FWIW, I've put
about 130K on my P2 BJ8 in all types of weather.

BTW, welcome to the Forum Simon.

Bob