[Healeys] Starting a BJ8

Michael Salter michaelsalter at gmail.com
Fri Dec 16 11:37:38 MST 2016

Not sure is this trick will help your nephew Simon but I have found that
because of the somewhat "dodgy" design of the original choke control on a
BJ8 it is a little difficult to get the control to apply the 2 chokes
fully.
To test that the chokes are being fully applied check that, as the choke
levers are pulled up as far as they can be by the cable, the fast idle rod
actually drops down and opens the throttles a little.
This rod is somewhat prone to seizing in the carb body which prevents the
choke(s) moving to full travel and, as others have mentioned, a cold engine
will only start with the chokes FULLY applied.
Michael S
BN1 #174