[Healeys] Brake caliper rebuild

Oudesluys coudesluijs at chello.nl
Mon Dec 12 04:14:20 MST 2016

Check if the sealing rings have a high and low side. If so the high side
should be fitted down towards the bore.
Clean everything surgically removing al debris and rust from bores,
groves and pistons. Fit the sealing rings dry and apply brake grease
(red stuff from Girling or blue stuff from Até, which I always use)
liberally to the the bore, piston and inside surface of the seal. Avoid
using brake fluid as this will partially end up on the outside exposed
to open air and cause corrosion afterwards. Get a bit of thin
polyethylene plastic sheet and wrap tightly around the piston once,
leaving about half an inch below the piston to insert into the bore
beyond the seal so it can protect it. press home the piston and withdraw
the plastic. Apply some more brake grease on the piston calliper and fit
the outside seals.
Kees Oudesluijs