[Healeys] Reverse Gear

Michael Salter michaelsalter at gmail.com
Thu Dec 8 09:44:00 MST 2016

Hi Ed,
Fortunately it sounds as though you don't have the interior in yet so the
problem should be easily corrected.
I encountered a similar issue during a BJ7 box rebuild and it turned out to
be caused by an incorrect reverse gear detent spring.
I had replaced the reverse shifter rod because serious wear was evident
between the 2 detents in the rod but didn't realize that someone had
replaced the the original detent springs for a much heavier which was coil
binding with the replaced rod.
Only figured it out when I discovered that it was easy to engage reverse
with the top cover off the box.
BIG CAUTION..  If you are playing with the gear engagement with the top off
the box be VERY CAREFUL. it is really easy to "over travel" the 3/4 or 1/2
sliding hubs which will allow the synchronizer balls to pop out too far.
Don't ask me how I know!!!

Michael S
BN1 #174

--
*If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.*