[Healeys] Reverse Gear

Ed Orr eorr at cogeco.ca
Thu Dec 8 08:06:35 MST 2016

My ’66 BJ8 restoration is nearing completion and is due to visit a paint buffing shop on Monday before I install all the exterior bits . WE got the engine started last week and all is well with that .

Yesterday I checked out the transmission , all forward gears are fine but I cannot get it into reverse , The gearshift lever moves properly to the left against the spring the same 10  degrees ( checked with a dial angle finder ) as my other BJ8  but cannot engage the gear . The clutch travel seems to be OK no sign of grinding engaging first gear , the other straight cut gear .

The transmission was rebuilt by Rich Chrysler’s old BMC mechanic about 4 years ago but only recently installed .

Anybody had this problem .

Ed Orr

’65 BJ8

’66 BJ8 project