[Healeys] Oil

Oudesluys coudesluijs at chello.nl
Sat Aug 27 12:32:16 MDT 2016

When rebuilding engines I have always thickly coated the bearing
surfaces, and cam lobes using Graphite or Molybdenium grease. At first
start up I disconnect the ignition until I have oil pressure, than idle
the engine until warm after which I would drive at moderate speed and
load for about 100miles. Never used running in oil , just the prescribed
oil. Then drained the oil and fitted a new filter and filled up with
fresh oil. Again another few thousand miles at moderate loads, oil and
filter change after which speed and load were gradually increased until
about 5000miles before full speed and load were applied. After a rebuild
I never encountered any other wear issues on any engine. Some engines
did more than 250.000 miles after that. The only thing that wore were
the cylinder walls/rings/pistons and valves/seats.
This is for road cars. Racing/rally cars are supposed to need a
different approach, however even with engines that were raced I never
went beyond the original procedure.
Kees Oudesluijs