[Healeys] Holes in Painted Surface

warthodson at aol.com warthodson at aol.com
Tue Apr 12 08:31:59 MDT 2016

If I want to drill thru sheet metal I use one of the stepped, cone shaped "unibits". They make much better, rounder holes than standard drill bits in sheet metal. I would buy a new one if I was drilling thru a painted surface. If you have never used one, I suggest  drilling a few test holes in a similar thickness piece of scrap sheet metal, just to get the feel of using it. Also, when drilling it is not always obvious which step is the correct step to stop the drilling. So, I put a clear mark on the step with a felt tip marker before starting to drill.
Gary Hodson