[Healeys] Holes in Painted Surface

BJ8Healeys sbyers at ec.rr.com
Tue Apr 12 08:27:05 MDT 2016

Some drill bits are designed not to "walk", but most are not.  The punch
does not have to go all the way through the material, just make a depression
to guide the point of the bit so it stays where you want it to.  Putting
masking tape over the area wouldn't hurt, but I've never drilled holes that
way.  I don't think electrical tape would work very well because it
stretches and the drill bit may wind it up.  Maybe not, I've never tried it.

Steve