[Healeys] New Post on my Blog...tire truing

Michael Salter michaelsalter at gmail.com
Wed Sep 30 08:34:19 MDT 2015

The problem with trying to true the old 48 spoke wheels is that the nipples
seize on the spokes after 60 odd years and it is virtually impossible to
free up the threads to save the spokes which are just not available for
these really early wheels .... also the actual rim itself is often a little
distorted and straightening that is very difficult and cannot be achieved
by simply adjusting the spokes.
I had heard of people deflating the tire and rotating it 90 degrees on the
rim then checking again so I gave that a try... There was no measurable
change although I tried it in all 4 quadrants on the worst wheel ... I
suspect that modern tires are made pretty accurately.
Regarding the "scalloping" I actually made 4 cuts on each tire and managed
to position the blade to cut the tread fairly much like the original
profile.. After a 10 mile run the tires look just like they did when
before the treatment.

Michael S
BN1 #174

--
*If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.*