[Healeys] miata seats

Al Fuller al at bighealey.org
Wed Sep 16 12:30:22 MDT 2015

Hi Ira:

 I put Miata seats in my BJ-8, and really find them more comfortable than
the stock seats.  See this link for pictures of the seats sitting in the
car before mounting [I'm traveling, and do not have pictures of them as
installed with me...]:
https://sites.google.com/site/1965redhealey/restoration-blog?offset=10

 My wife is also short at 5'0", and I am hoping that the increased travel
will allow her to drive the car without any pedal extensions, etc.  We
haven't tried that yet...

 I have also attached an external picture, showing the seats.  One has a
sheepskin cover on it, so no - they are not different colors.  There are
some really nice leather re-upolstery sets out there, and I will get them
looking better at some point, but for now they are plain black fabric.  I
also have not yet replaced the stock speakers in the headrests, but will.

 As to mounting, I agree that the trans tunnel does limit the forward
travel of the driver seat.  My [long] to-do list includes pulling the trans
tunnel and narrowing it.  Since I also have the narrow Toyota trans in
there, that will not be an issue.  I will gain some much needed leg room
that way, anyway.  I mounted mine using fabricated mounting brackets and
the stock Miata seat rails.  The healey seat rails come out completely, and
when you are done, the seats can be unbolted in seconds, from inside the
car, with no need to get under the car.  the brackets I used are at this
link, together with instructions on modifying the Miata seat rails:
http://tr6.danielsonfamily.org/PattonMiataBrackets.htm

 Please let me know if you need any more info.
   Al Fuller
al at bighealey.org

'65 A-H BJ-8
'85 Rx-7 GSL-SE