[Healeys] Suspension bushings - tangent

WILLIAM B LAWRENCE ynotink at msn.com
Thu Oct 22 20:27:07 MDT 2015

I think I disagree. The main purpose of the tie rod is to keep the engine from shifting forward and damaging the radiator. It has very little function as a shock absorber. Its orientation to the engine center line means there is little vibration in that direction. On the other hand the rubber bushings fail very quickly on exposure to oil and water. if the bushings fail and allow the engine to move forward under braking it can do some substantial damage. I think Austin probably would have used a more durable material in that place if one had been available (and economic). My car is not concours and never will be so my emphasis is going to be on durability. I'm definitely going to urethane for this application.
Bill Lawrence