[Healeys] Suspension bushings - tangent

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Thu Oct 22 06:31:14 MDT 2015

FWIW, I've had PU tie rod bushings for probably 50K miles or so with no
issues (I have a Texas Cooler fan, with only about a quarter inch
clearance with the radiator tank, so it's critical).  Same with front
suspension--including sway bar--but the damn things squeak.

Not to brag--OK, I'm bragging--but I'll bet I drive my BJ8 harder than
most; about 5K miles/year over all kinds of roads, which makes it a
pretty good test bed.  Worst road ever: drove through Cholame, CA to
check out the James Dean memorial and took the Parkfield-Coalinga Road;
north of Parkfield it's a one-lane dirt road.  It's hard as concrete and
must have had a lousy grading job--think the blade must have been
'skipping'--that made it essentially a large washboard.  Ten miles or so
of constant, rhythmic pounding that could shake the fillings out of your
teeth, but the suspension held together.

Bob