[Healeys] choke springs

Earl Kagna kags at shaw.ca
Thu Oct 8 09:33:21 MDT 2015

Ira:

I use a pair of original throttle return springs on my stock BJ8.  Over the years, I have fooled around with various coil springs, ballpoint pen springs, etc. – nothing works as well for me as what I use.  The bottom end of the springs are hooked around the hydraulic pipe right below the carbs – should be the same on the BT7 as the BJ8.  The top end is hooked around the cotter pin that secures the cable fitting to the choke arm.  The tension seems to be just about right – if you go to a drilled hole on the inner fender, it will be too tight and you’ll have to go to a weaker coil spring like the factory / dealers did.

I also bent the lower spring hook around the pipe so that it will stay on when disconnected for carb / choke / air cleaner service.

Doesn’t look exactly elegant, looks sort of original, works like a damn for me.

I can try and get a couple of pics for you later today – the car is not yet stored away for the winter.

Earl Kagna
Victoria, B.C.
BJ8, BT7 tri-carb