[Healeys] Jet-coating, wrap or do nothing to stainless headers?

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Sun Nov 15 07:52:12 MST 2015

I'll add that, although I wrapped the mild steel downpipes on my BJ8 and have no problems--that I know of--I've become reluctant to recommend it. I've seen photographic evidence of pipes being severely eroded by wrapping; though it appears to be a hit-or-miss issue, and may be due, in part, to how they were wrapped and what they were wrapped with (I have to believe if it was a very common problem nobody would buy the wrap and companies would cease to sell it). I wouldn't expect ceramic coating to be a problem, at least if the pipes were coated both inside and outside (inside only might even be better).

Here in the colonies we mostly have to use gas with 10% ethanol ('pure' gas is available at some stations, but it's relatively rare). On a warm day, if my engine is hot and shut down for less than a couple hours and restarted I'll get some stumbling until air flow has cooled everything off a bit. I can't say with absolute certainty that the gasahol is the problem, but I don't recall this ever happening before the new formulation became prevalent. I think ceramic coating the manifold might cure this problem.

Bob