[Healeys] Oil pressure pipe

BJ8Healeys sbyers at ec.rr.com
Tue Nov 10 16:24:16 MST 2015

My experience:  without some air in the hose or hard line the oil pressure
gauge needle will vibrate from oil pump pressure fluctuations.  The air acts
as a damper to prevent that.

I replaced the flexible hose without thinking about air getting into the
system and the gauge worked fine.  When I did think about it, I thought I
should bleed the air, which I did.  The needle immediately began vibrating
severely and continued until I disconnected the line at the gauge and
reconnected it without bleeding.  A couple years later during my return from
Conclave in San Diego, I noticed the needle vibrating again.  Investigation
found the nut on the line behind the gauge loose, with a drop of oil hanging
from it.  Apparently, the line bled itself through the loose nut.
Disconnecting and reconnecting the line fixed it.

Steve Byers

HBJ8L/36666

BJ8 Registry

AHCA Delegate at Large