[Healeys] Splines and Wheels

Roger Grace roggrace at telus.net
Mon Nov 2 10:47:03 MST 2015

I have just installed new MWS  5.5in 72 spoke wheels and new Moss (USA made) splined hubs on the rear of my BJ8. Also fitted new turret lug nuts.
I am not happy with the fitment as have to hammer the hell out of the spinner to take up the peripheral play in the wheels.
What gives ? Spoken to both MWS and Moss and they are at a loss.
I can confirm that the hub mounting studs are not touching the inside of the wheel and that the spinners are not bottoming.
Switched front to back spinners and no change.
Spinner thread ID seems to be within spec. at 2.194 in
Now thinking about new spinners .. ?? Are there perhaps spinners with a different taper .. ?
Anyone had similar issues ??

As an aside, trying to get my head around all this, appears to me that torque is also (as well as splines) transmitted by the taper fit between the wheel inside and hub, as otherwise the wheel would not tighten when the spinner is tightened .. ??