[Healeys] angle speedo drive BJ8

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Sun May 10 11:13:02 MDT 2015

I'll throw another out there ... Presumably, you have been buying new
angle drives from the usual suspects; I've found that many of the new
parts are not being built to the standards of the originals (duh).  I'm
on the first and only angle drive in my BJ8 with nearly 190K miles; so
there's no reason these can't last the lifetime of the car, but there
has been a spate of bad parts recently--water pumps, bearings, most any
rubber part, etc.--and maybe the repro drives just ain't up to snuff.
Also, there were some cables sold that were too long; but I believe they
mostly damaged the speedo.

I'll repeat my recommendation for silicone lubricant; among its other
qualities it doesn't seem to attract dirt and dust like just about any
other lubricant.  I've tried moly grease, white lithium grease and
graphite powder--which is exceedingly messy to handle and apply--on
speedo cables and the silicone oil has worked best (my speedo is rock
solid at all speeds).  I used it on the Bendix drive of my starter and
it's worked flawlessly for over 100K miles.  I know it persists because
silicone is extremely difficult to remove from paint.

Bob