[Healeys] New Tyres

richard mayor mayorrichard at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 15 21:46:20 MDT 2015

Around 1962 I had a blowout in the right front tire of my 1952 Oldsmobile. It did not have power steering. I was a young strong fellow but that blowout almost tore my wrists off my arms.  The car swerved hard to the right and I left the highway and almost into a ditch. If I had not hit the brakes as hard as I did, I would have ended up in that ditch. There was heavy traffic in the oncoming land and if the left front tire had blown I would have had a head-on collision and perhaps killed.

So, what would a rear tire blowout   (.... or a rear tire losing pressure and going flat ? )  do that is worse than a front tire going flat.    I should add that modern tires do not have blowouts like we did back in the 50's and 60's.  So a front tire going flat will make the car extremely difficult to steer. Whereas, a rear tire going down would perhaps make the car want to over-steer a bit. And that is an easy instinctive driver correction.

Richard