[Healeys] water pumps and other repro parts

Larry Varley varley at cosmos.net.au
Mon Mar 2 00:40:54 MST 2015

Hi Guys, this is a great discussion and good to see on the list. I agree
and disagree on the comments. Firstly don't bag China I get some very
high quality engineering parts made there, but quality costs so you have
to pay for it. I found it about 20 to 30 % cheaper than local production
when there is a decent quantity. For small volume I still use local as
in Australia we do well at it. The Chinese manufacturers want the order
so they will reduce quality to get it, and many westerner buyers want to
pay the cheaper, cheaper game with them, so they get what they pay for.
It is in my opinion a total cop out for the vendors to say people will
buy the cheaper part. Frankly give us some credit and go to the effort
to explain on your website why your part is more expensive compared to
your competitors, and offer a warranty to back it up!. By selling
rubbing you only keep the rubbish coming and lessen your own reputation
as a quality and ethical supplier. It is quite true that we as classic
car owners don't tend to enforce the consumer rights we would with other
products and I think we all put up with it far more than we should. At
the end of the day the supplier is still making their profit so I wonder
how much they actually care.
Through lists like this both the ends users and restorers will find out
who supplies the best part that is better than the rubbish, so far it
looks like most are going down the cheap option path, and I still no one
has told me if anyone supplies a decent exhaust mount so it really makes
you wonder how much of the stuff really comes from the same source
regardless of who has their name on the packaging.
Cheers
Larry Varley