[Healeys] water pumps and other repro parts

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Sun Mar 1 08:29:12 MST 2015

Side note/story: A member of a flying club I was in--name of Tom, who happened to be German--was a process/QA engineer (last I heard he was overseeing production for Apple in China). He told a story:

Take, for instance, a glass container to a Japanese company. They will measure, study and analyze the sample and return with a prototype that is superior in every way to the sample, but likely exceeding your maximum unit price point.

Take the same sample to a Chinese company and they will produce a prototype that is inferior in every way to the sample, with a hole in the bottom. Tom said he would point out the hole in the container--whose purpose was to contain fluids--and the Chinese would say "But it's only 3 cents per unit."

Tom: "IT HAS A HOLE IN THE BOTTOM!!!"

Chinese: "IT'S ONLY 3 CENTS!!!"