[Healeys] FW: Oil again

Larry Varley varley at cosmos.net.au
Fri Jun 26 01:12:24 MDT 2015

Hi Bill, don't let them grind the cam journals, it seems undersize cam
bearings are not obtainable. King bearings had a problem many years ago
but I believe there are no problems with them now. Vandervell  did make
bearings for the 100 years ago but they would be hard to find these
days. The 100 block is very soft iron, my car had a massive ring groove
even though the engine had only done 8000 miles from new. I had it bored
to 3 5/8 and sleeved it back to 3 1/2 using good quality iron liners
from LA Sleeve. I used semi dished plus 0.060 pistons from JP pistons
here in Australia. They give a final compression ratio of about 9.5 to
1. I would see no problem with machining the top of the pistons back
flush as it would only be a very small amount. My head gasket is 0.040
thick composite material with steel rings around the bores. As long as
the pistons are no more than flush with the top of the bore you should
have no problem.
Hope it all works out
Regards
Larry Varley