[Healeys] Shifter Shaft Buffer Pad AEC3298

Earl Kagna kags at shaw.ca
Thu Jun 25 21:11:35 MDT 2015

Ron:

I had to come up with something when I rebuilt my BT7 top-shift gearbox (the buffer pad – same part number - was used all the way to the end of BJ8 production).  There were enough fragments of the original left in there to give me an idea of what to do.  It’s 1/16” thick.  I went to the hardware store and bought a plumbers gasket set, which contained a sheet of hard rubber that seemed to be the right material.  It can’t be too hard or it’l crack quickly, can’t be too soft or it’l shred.  It should be securely glued into the cavity.  The gearbox still works fine.

There is no similar pad in the adapter plate cavity – I vaguely recall that the factory found that without the forward pad, the gearbox would occasionally over shift and lock up with the shift rods moving forward – ie: 2nd and 4th.  It’s probably no big deal – I would wager that on teardown, most of these gearboxes have the remnants of the pad lying loose in the cavity just like mine did, and were likely still shifting okay – just like mine was.

Earl Kagna
Victoria, B.C.
BJ8, BT7 tri-carb