[Healeys] Oil again

Oudesluys coudesluijs at chello.nl
Wed Jun 24 06:18:27 MDT 2015

One has to make a distinction here. If an engine is properly
"re-manufactured" or may be "blue printed" using modern tolerances,
finishes, hardening procedures, materials for bearings, pistons, valves,
valve seats, seals and gaskets, upgraded oil pump, upgraded oil filter
and the like, the engine will most likely last much longer than a brand
new original engine (if you could get hold of one) and one probably
could use modern oils. It should not need another overhaul for a long
time, most modern engines last well over 300.000 miles if maintained
properly.
If the engine is rebuild using the factory tolerances, use the specified
oil. It is likely that the engine will need another rebuild after
60-100.000 miles as would an original engine.

In the past I had many experiences with rebuilt engines of various cars
and they were of similar quality as the original engines. However, these
days you hardly ever come across
rebuilt or re-manufactured engines except for antique and classic cars
and it is very rare that they will exceed 100.000 hard driven miles
within ones lifetime so it is hard to say what is durable or not. Single
observations are of no value, to make a valuable judgement you need
documented numbers and lots of it.

So what do most people do? They adhere to the specified original
maintainance, i.e. 20W50 or single grade for the oldest vehicles and
rarely get involved in experiments that could be very costly if you get
it wrong.

Kees Oudesluijs