[Healeys] MGB GT V8

Patrick & Caroline Quinn p_cquinn at tpg.com.au
Mon Jun 1 21:22:29 MDT 2015

G'day

I have had the pleasure of testing both the MGB GT V8 and the RV8, both of
which were fitted with the basic Rover all alloy 3.5 litre V8.

Yes while the ancestor of the Rover V8 may have been the Buick/Oldsmobile
engine there are few similarities. I would say about the same as the Repco
Formula One engine of the 1960s that also had the same origins. The Rover V8
was fitted to a whole range of cars like the Range Rover, Land Rover, Rover,
TVR and even Morgan.

Yes they are quick, but not in an excessive way, more in a touring way.
Don't expect pavement ripping acceleration, but on the open road the MGB GT
V8 it's a great car of the period. My advice is to check the bona-fides of
the car because there were many home conversions done. If however the
conversion was done by Costello you should think positively about the car
because these were done under the watchful eye of BMC/Leyland. Costello's
conversions eventually led to BMC/Leyland decided to produce the production
version.

The RV8 is a different car again and in my opinion not as pleasant as the
MGB GT V8. Lots of fan noise and while it has such modern accoutrements as
air it's not fun to drive.

In case you're thinking there is no similarity at all to the V8 fitted to
the Triumph Stag.

Hoo Roo

Patrick Quinn

Blue Mountains, Australia