[Healeys] Rear axle gasket question - test results

warthodson at aol.com warthodson at aol.com
Thu Jan 29 11:16:02 MST 2015

Steve,
Thanks for the follow-up data.
If the clearance between the bearing spacer & the face of the bearing carrier, less the gasket & O-ring, is .004" then you were within spec without any gasket. By adding a .005" thick gasket the bearing spacer would be -.001" below the gasket surface & therefore not within spec. The thickest gasket you could use & still be within spec. is .003". The intent was to have a small amount of preload on the bearing spacer to prevent movement of the bearing. I am not saying your setup will not work. I am just trying to be clear on what the factory workshop manual intended.
Gary Hodson

From: Steve Gerow steveg at abrazosdata.com

I measured my rear hub clearance today at .004” between the bearing spacer and the face of the bearing carrier – sans paper gasket and o-ring.

Therefore I made a gasket out of .005” envelope paper and installed it with a light partial coat of hylomar.

See: http://www.pbase.com/image/158968947 and the succeeding image.

My new Moss gasket had compressed from .014” to .010” – leaving the bearing spacer loose by .006”.