[Healeys] Drum Brakes

Patrick & Caroline Quinn p_cquinn at tpg.com.au
Tue Jan 27 01:19:49 MST 2015

Drongos!

Read what I wrote. I didn't say that today, drums are better than discs.
This is a discussion list for the owners of Austin-Healeys, not modern
trucks or anything built later than 1970.

My comment was based on a direct comparison between a 100 with well sorted
drum brakes and that of the discs fitted to a 100S. Then I mentioned the
glorious drum brakes of a T35 Bugatti. Truly how many of you have really
looked close at a T35 and realised that the drums are actually cast into
those glorious cast alloy wheels? There has never been a more sensuous
looking brake made ever!

Then talking about looks have a close view of the casting of the Lancia's
brakes and them tell me that they don't look pretty next to a functional and
highly efficient disc brake caliper. The next time you see the brakes of an
Alfa Romeo Sprint Speciale have a close look and tell me that they are not
pretty. Sure Brembo and the like brakes may be the most efficient brakes
built since Adam was a boy, but in my mind they have no soul and belong with
the boy racer brigade.

By the way the word 'Drongo' is an Australian tongue-in-cheek term of
endearment.

Hoo Roo

Patrick Quinn
Blue Mountains, Oztraya