[Healeys] BN1 Gearbox Hubs

Michael Salter michaelsalter at gmail.com
Tue Jan 20 10:17:58 MST 2015

This is one for those with some gearbox rebuilding experience.
In this question I will refer to the gear numbers "in the box" i.e. as if
we are talking about a regular 4 speed gearbox.
I have built a few BN1 gearboxes and have always wondered about the
disposition of the balls and springs in the 3/4th hub.
The 1/2 hub uses 6 balls and springs but the 3/4 hub uses only 3 sets. What
is odd is that the ball and spring sets are all on one side of the hub not
evenly dispersed around the hub as they are on every other gearbox I have
worked on.
They can be seen in this picture.
 [image: Inline image 1]
Why?

Michael S
BN1 #174

--
*If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.*