[Healeys] Ring gear not fully seated in flywheel

Michael Salter michaelsalter at gmail.com
Tue Jan 20 10:01:58 MST 2015

I have found the comments on this topic to be very interesting with regards
to the heating of the ring gear. I am no metallurgist so I tend to pay
attention to manufacturers instructions regarding the heating of metal
components very carefully.
In the BN1 workshop manual instructions are given for shrink fitting new
brass syncro cones onto the gears. The instructions read:
*"The heating (of the syncro ring) can best be done by immersion in oil of
250 degrees Fahrenheit and then fitting by means of a hand press. After
shrinking on, the unit should be immediately be quenched in water to
prevent the heat softening the gear itself.*
250 degrees Fahrenheit is the equivalent of 121 degrees Centigrade.
Well, if we are going to be heating the actual RING GEAR to 2 or 300
degrees Centigrade should we not perhaps be a tad concerned about heat
softening the ring gear??
Just a thought....

Michael S
BN1 #174

--
*If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.*