[Healeys] Torque Wrench

Oudesluys coudesluijs at chello.nl
Wed Jan 14 22:48:08 MST 2015

If you have the correct range/size and if you calibrated/checked it,
which is a very simple job, these old fashioned, what you call beam
torque, wrenches are sufficiently accurate, whatever the price.
If you want the convenience of the modern torque wrench you will have to
splash out for a decent one i.e. Belzer, Gedore, Snap-on, Hazet,
Teng-Tools (which is cheaper) etc. to be sure it is accurate and
consistent. Always return the setting to zero when storing the tool.
Keep it dry, clean and in the box.
Get the proper range for the job which means that the desired torque
should preferably be fairly near the max. torque of the wrench, but at
least over 50% of it.
Make sure that treads and all parts are free of burrs and absolutely
clean and dry (absolutely no oil or grease, unless stated otherwise in
the manual). If one would lubricate, the correct torque setting would
create far too big a stress on the stud/bolt. If possible use new
bolts/studs, washers and nuts.
Setting the full torque with a torque wrench is not very accurate
anyhow. In modern applications the "torque" is set by a low initial
torque and then the bolt/nut is turned a specified amount of degrees.
Also bolt, nut, washers, parts are usually lubricated when using this method
Kees Oudesluijs
NL