[Healeys] spun bearings

Oudesluys coudesluijs at chello.nl
Mon Feb 2 05:24:10 MST 2015

In general the rotating part of a bearing (on the axle shaft in this
case) is a press fit while the stationary part (in the rear axle
housing) is a push fit. Tolerances on bearings are quite tight, but the
axle housing could be a different matter. Even when the outer race of
the bearing is a bit on the loose side it should not spin in the axle
housing. If it does it is worn and/or with debris inside. If a bearing
has spun, it is often sufficient to replace the bearing and using some
Locktide between outer race and housing. This will however make
disassembly in the future more difficult.
Kees Oudesluijs
NL