[Healeys] Steering question

Michael Oritt michael.oritt at gmail.com
Mon Dec 28 12:23:08 MST 2015

I have a December, 1954 100.

My wife and I went out for an extended ride yesterday. She drove first and
though she does not have much experience with the car she is a quick study
and good thinker. After she had driven for perhaps 20 miles she commented
that the steering seemed go be "wandering" and required constant small
adjustments to keep the car going straight. She felt that the condition did
not start until after we had been driving for a while. I did not say
anything and thought to myself that she simply was not used to the car.

After about 50 miles we switched and--whether or not it was because of her
comment--I noticed that the car did in fact want to wander and I had to
stay on top of keeping the car from veering ever so slightly from left or
right of center. The situation remained the same for the balance of the
trip--about 150 or so miles in all till we came home.

Whether or not this is relevant--once the wheel is turned to set up for a
turn everything seems fine and the car holds a steady track through the
turn. It was only when the wheels were straight ahead that the issue
presented.

I decided to address this today and with the car in the garage I find that
there is virtually no play whatsoever in the steering--perhaps 1/2" or
less--whether the front wheels are on or off the ground.

​The "adjustment" procedure described in the manual for "later" 100's
simply tells me to loosen the lock nut, remove the cover plate and tighten
down the adjusting screw to remove play.  I am not finding a lot of
play--again 1/2" or less-whether the car is on the ground or in the
air--except when we are rolling.

I have, btw, checked for loose front wheel bearings by trying to wiggle the
front wheels both from side to side and back and forth and everything feels
just right.  Also I have observed the steering linkage from underneath and
when I push the wheels from lock to lock I see no looseness, etc. in the
end ball joints or the steering tie rods.

​Suggestions will be appreciated....

Best--Michael Oritt​

​