[Healeys] Here's a stumper.

ATIGHTPROD at aol.com ATIGHTPROD at aol.com
Sat Dec 19 20:03:02 MST 2015

I've got an early BN1 and from everything I know, the oil pan has never
been off the car. I find that hard to believe, but I have no record of it ever
 happening and I have receipts going back to it's first oil change. Anyway,
 I just took the pan off and found something very interesting, in the
bottom of  the pan and it was in pieces. I took it out, cleaned it off and took
some photos  of it to see if anyone knows what this is. Neither my mechanic
or I could find  anywhere it was "supposed" to go. I do know I've run more
than tens years with  it sitting in the bottom of the pan and never a problem.
    It's about 5" in diameter and in-between 1/8" and  1/4"in thickness.
(Piston is from a BN1)  So what's the wisdom of the  court? What the hell is
this? Oh and it's made out of either a very hard plastic  or a bakelight like
material. Anybody have a guess? I'd love to hear.
    I'm putting everything back together and going to  drive the car, don't
see any reason not to, but wanted to let you take a look  and give me some
thoughts. Thanks in advance.
Steven Kingsbury
BN1 #598

Upper left, chewed up  edge, got caught in something. Maybe that's what
broke it. The  remainder of it was chewed up bits in the bottom of the  pan.

Pretty thick and very  hard. Gear teeth marks, from?  Stumper.