[Healeys] Distributor screen

Michael Oritt michael.oritt at gmail.com
Wed Dec 2 18:50:42 MST 2015

This reminds me of something I witnessed many years ago when I had a TR3
with an AM radio which was picking up a lot of ignition noise--actually a
very loud tick that varied directly with the engine's speed.  A mechanic
showed me that simply tying an overhand knot in the lead (no doubt a solid
copper wire) from the coil to the distributor eliminated the noise.

I have told this story to several people over the years and have always
gotten skeptical responses but I will go to my grave insisting that it
happened.  I have searched the internet for any reference to this
phenomenon and the closest I can come is here:

http://physics.stackexchange.com/questions/13978/tying-knots-in-power-cables-to-prevent-power-surge-from-lightning-strikes

Perhaps an electrical smart guy can shed some light on why the knot works
but that is my story....

Best--Michael Oritt