[Healeys] rear springs on BJ8

Robert F. Begani rfbegani at speakeasy.net
Sat Aug 1 15:47:01 MDT 2015

The Rear Springs thread caught my interest.  My springs are 35 years old.
They were purchased from Moss. They have maybe 5,000 miles on them in that
period of time, mainly sat in garages I own and storage units.  In Florida
now they are getting much more use.   Currently the driver's side is lower
than the passenger side so the car lists to the drivers' side and are they
are squeaking because I do not have grease fittings on any shackles.  In the
past 3 years, I have taken off the nuts pushed out the bolt a little and
soaked the inside as well as I can and it lasts another season of driving in
the Florida Winter.  My question, was I supposed to drill and tap the joints
of the shackles, there are no holes presently, and install the grease
fitting so many years ago and will that be the case in I install new leaf
springs.

As I am scheduling pulling the engine to replace the clutch and a few other
items in October,  I could add new leaf springs and rebuilding the shocks
now that I have the instructions. One of my sailing friends a retired
machinist, has a man cave and the ability to make or shape or drill and tap
anything from metal.

Bob Begani

BJ8