[Healeys] Starter resistance

Michael Salter michaelsalter at gmail.com
Fri Apr 17 08:13:21 MDT 2015

Hi John,
I would recommend two checks.
1. Check the voltage between the threaded terminal on the starter motor and
ground as you crank the engine. It should be in the 9 - 11 volts range.
2. Check the current draw of the starter under load. This requires a clamp
on ammeter which is a tool worth adding to your collection. The current
draw should be in 100 - 200 range.
If you have at least 9 volts and the current is over 200 the supply to the
starter is okay and you need to look into problems with the motor itself
(internal short) or the drive (bent or incorrectly positioned).
If the voltage is under 9 volts and the current flow is under 200 then you
need to check the battery, cables, solenoid,ground straps and master switch
for problems.
Healeys are not the best "crankers" even when everything is in good
condition because of the length of the electrical path and the 14
connections in it all of which need to be in good condition for the system
to operate correctly.
Michael S
BN1 #174

--
*If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.*