[Healeys] Tri-carb poor running

Wayne Schultz waschu2 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 30 12:16:11 MDT 2014

Hi,

              I was stymied  by the poor part throttle response of my
friends tri-carb Healey. I checked and rebuilt the distributor, checked
the carburetors, mixture, cam timing, adjusted the valves, different
coil, etc. Everything I looked at was in spec.   I then decided to try
different SU damper springs. The original springs were the original red
springs and measured at the proper 4.5 oz.  at 2 . 6 inches or so. I
replaced the Red springs with Yellow  springs at 8 oz at 2.6 inches.
Without changing anything else the results were dramatic. The power
comes on smoothly and the hesitant and poor light throttle response is
totally gone. Even with its early cam the car now feels pretty close to
my own BJ-8 in term of drivability and power.  I can't tell you how many
hours of trying to fix this problem were fixed with $20 worth of
carburetor springs.  My advice to anyone with similar problems is to
give the Yellow damper springs a try. Even if you think you tri-carb is
running well give the Yellow springs a try. I did have to adjust the
carburetor mixture a couple of flats to get the best idle after changing
the springs.  I use 30# oil in the dash pots.

Wayne