[Healeys] exhaust popping

Derek Job derek.c.job at gmail.com
Sat Oct 11 01:16:29 MDT 2014

The popping on overrun, as explained by Bob, is due to excess fuel burning
in the exhaust pipe. This is very common on cars with higher performance
engines, particularly hotter cams. My cam is 300 degree duration which
means big overlaps between intake and exhaust valves. When you suddenly
come off the throttle, excess fuel goes straight out of the exhaust ports,
then ignites on the hot exhaust. My car does this all the time. Its the
same reason that you see flames coming from some high performance race
cars. We even had some flames at last weeks Big Healey Invitational race at
Castle Coombe.